Most of us want to live meaningful lives and make a difference in a positive way in our world. But we are constantly bombarded with the message of self centeredness in our society. We hear the words, “you deserve more,” ‘Pursue pleasure,” “It’s all about you.”
Given this constant drum beat of self –regard, it is tempting to be afraid to invest time and energy in service to God and others. We fear that we will miss out and that our lives will be miserable. We think, “What if I end up trapped doing something that I dread?”
But the truth is the opposite of what society would teach us. In reality, we will never feel the wonderful joy of fulfillment and self gratification in a self oriented life. Rather, as we give ourselves away to the service that God has created us to do we will feel true joy. Listen to what Jesus says,
"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it.”
To sum it up Jesus says it is worth it to say “yes” to service.
Here at Quail we believe that each of us is designed to serve in a unique way and that as we live out our “divine design” not only are others blessed but also we feel joy. It is so essential that we are all involved, for in that way we will be able to achieve the calling that God has placed on our fellowship as a church body.
So, have you taken the plunge and said “yes” to volunteering in some capacity? Here are some areas where you can step up… we need volunteer ushers, greeters, parking lot attendants, teachers in our Sunday School for the fall, nursery workers who will love the babies, mentors to young adults, youth group table discussion leaders, café workers, visitors to the home bound and hospitalized, kitchen workers for the Meal Ministry, prayer counselors, Life Together Group leaders and much, much more.
His and yours,
A New Way to Communicate Comes to Quail!
Starting this month you will see a change in the way that Quail communicates to you. The main difference that we will all notice is that we will no longer be sending out a barrage of e-mails about all of the events here at the church for all to receive. We realize that in our zeal to get the word out regarding all the stuff that we were so excited about – we were drowning you in e-mail, much of which did not pertain to you.
Therefore starting this month you will see the following changes:
- Once a week (Thursdays) you will get one e-mail that will be entitled “This week at Quail.” This e-mail will give you all of the information you will need to get a sweeping sense of the events each weekend.
- Each of the departments will send out a once a month newsletter to those who wish to subscribe. We will ask you to go to our website as soon as possible and select the departmental newsletter(s) that interest you. That way you will get that pre- scheduled once a month publication in your e-mail and only those that are helpful for your family.
- We will soon be updating our Facebook page to allow people on Facebook to simply “like” and be friends with Quail on Facebook.
- You will also see much more content on our web page www.qlbc.org . Check us out there on a regular basis.
- We will keep information in print format for those who do not use the internet.
We are hopeful that these changes will be positive and assist in keeping you informed concerning the areas of your passion here at Quail.